Saturday, March 24, 2007

Location: El Escorial, Spain

So I went to El Escorial today! Now this was amazing. We only went and saw one thing, but that's all there is to see in El Escorial. And it took us like three hours to go through the palace. Amazing it was. Ok, so let's get starte, cuz there are going to be a few pictures, and I want to try and explain them...



So the entrance. I loved it... The courtyard itself was HUGE!!! Shadda thing is we only went through HALF if that, of the palace and it took us like 3 hours! HAHA! Well, the entrance was of course, just the beginning.

As we walked through I got a picture of one of the wings. Yep, I made arrangements to take over that wing, I'll be moving in during the summer. Yeah, I think I have an extra room or two you can use.




Haha, so the burial room, The walls were lined with caskets, but these caskets have been inlaid with gold and made of marble. It's amazing. But the caskets are for the royal people of Spain. There are only 3 empty caskets, one is for Don Juan's mother, father, and grandmother. The thing is they are all 3 dead already. But because the caskets are small they have to allow the body to naturally decompose; this takes 25 years. In a room just outside the burial room is where their bodies stay until they are just bones so they can fit in the casket. Funny, but ok...
So the chandelier in this room was awesome. This is my favorite picture of the three I took of this chandelier. But my favorite picture of this room is of the roof. It was again inlaid with gold, but to get this perfect picture I had to lay on my back. It was sooooo funny! Someone got the picture of me taking the picture. I have not yet got it, but someday... ;)


But as you keep walking through the palace you find more and more burial tombs. One of my favorite was the one of, well I don't know his name, but he had 13 girlfriends, and to symbolize this the coffin had a picture of a man with 13 rings on his hands. But also, he had this really cool LION at his feet. So I thought hey, why not eh?

We continued walking and there was a ton of art work, but as we walked into another hall way and as I looked up from trying to find a pen in my bag it was an amazing shot. I stopped where I was and took the picture. I didn't care what it was, I wanted THAT picture.
Come to find out an artist who painted with both of his hands painted it and 73 OIL PAINTINGS all in a matter of 3 years! How crazy! But here is my "lying on the back" shot.
We then went into a room which if you stood at one corner and whispered into the corner you could hear the other person doing the same at a corner diagnally from you. It was pretty cool. After this we went into the cathedral. What a cathedral. The lighting wasn't good enough to get good focused pictures of the alter or organ, but it is amazing to know the king and queen had their rooms on opposite sides of the alter so if they were sick all they had to do was open a door and they could still listen to mass. I need that. But anyhow, so this little beauty is just a picture of the gazebo that they used for weddings. What a place.
A tower, one of four, to the El Escorial. What's interesting is that there were 4 and if you actually turned the whole building upside down would look like a grill because of some tragedy that happened with people getting burned on a grill. It was tragic. Here is a better shot of the top part of the entrance. The kings from the bible Interesting really.
So as we leave we go into the outter courtyard I went to take this picture of a mountain and there were kids playing soccer, the ball came to me and I kicked it back to them, but they only laughed and I asked to play, but they would not let me. How rude huh?

But this is the picture I was really going for.


And then my final masterpiece. The Outside of the whole thing. What a day, and what a building.



Where in the World is Sara D. Ray? Now you know.

1 comment:

Enjoy the Journey said...

wow... that is a cool palace! Too bad you are such a BRAT and wouldn't come with us to ITALY! One day you will come hang out with the cool people again. And if you would... I have LOTS of dates for you!